Revolutionizing the way we and learn
Are you thinking of becoming a teacher? Well, then you should know that teaching really is the most noble profession on Earth. However, you should also know that you should not enter into this profession if you have not given it a lot of consideration before doing so. Of course, if you are a selfish person, then you should know that teaching is definitely not for you.
So, why is it important to know the aforementioned things? First of all, if you are good at teaching, then it will be one of the most demanding, if not the most demanding, professions that is in existence today. Therefore, you really do need to understand that this job is not for everyone. In fact, this job is ideally suited for only a select few group of individuals. Unfortunately though, most of the people who do become teachers are not a part of this select group of people.
Secondly, you need to know that teaching is a tiring and oftentimes thankless job. Regardless of what many people have never been teachers think, teaching is a 24/7 job. It is not a part-time daytime only job like many teachers would have you to believe. Of course, you do get to be off for summer vacation, winter break, spring break, holidays, snow days, etc. However, all of these breaks do not amount to much when you have to teach 5 different groups of children, 5 days a week for between 40 and 50 minutes each period. All of this time is spent with a class that is full of distracted, hormone-possessed adolescents. On the other hand, if you are teaching younger children, then you will have to spend between 5 and 6 hours a day with children who are needy, fretful and demanding of your attention.
As you can clearly see, teaching truly requires selfless acts on a daily basis. Therefore, anyone who is selfish will quickly find that this profession does not match their agenda very well. This is because teaching demands so much of a person’s time and energy, leaving very little of these precious resources for other things. Therefore, a person really does need to think carefully before they enter into this profession. They also need to understand and realize that the effects of burn-out can come very fast and very strong.
Of course, there is a silver lining in all of this: teaching is one of the most gratifying professions around. Herein you will be able to see the impact of a life-changing effect upon a student; the effects of unconditional love; and even the totally unexpectedly return visit from a long-forgotten student, who may have been trouble at one time is now coming to say thank you for changing their life for the better. There really is no price or value that can be placed upon such invaluable experiences.
If you are looking for a challenging, yet enjoyable, part-time job while you are in college, you should become a tutor. The really nice thing is that when you become a tutor you will be able to make good money while working flexible hours. This is especially true whenever you become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com.
Some of the things that you are going to have to possess in order to become a tutor are excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
Nevertheless, there are plenty of great reasons to become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com. These include:
1. Becoming a tutor will give you an opportunity to challenge yourself.
2. When you become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com you will get to meet new people.
3. You can tutor according to the time that you have available instead of having someone make a schedule for you.
4. If you are still in school you will have the opportunity to review your past coursework, which will help you with the courses that you are currently taking.
5. You will be greatly satisfied whenever you watch and help others learn.
6. You will have the opportunity to develop your interpersonal skills, which you will need in order to work with all kinds of people.
7. You can put tutoring on your resume to show employers that you know how to apply your knowledge.
In order to become a tutor in most places you are going to have to go through an application process. However, this is not the way that it works at TeachOrTutor.com. In order to become a tutor here, all you have to do is set up your own virtual office and start posting ads so that others will know about your services.
On TeachOrTutor.com you will have the opportunity to become a tutor while staying at home. This is a great thing for any mothers who need to be home to raise their children because you can set your own hours and tutor whenever you want to. As such, you will still be able to be there for your children and take care of their wants and needs, which is why you have chosen to be home with them to begin with. Right?
Of course, college students will also want to become a tutor. Yet, these students may also be parents and thus need some true flexibility in their schedule. After all, these students are going to college to improve their family’s life. So, the last thing that they are going to want to do is neglect them by working and going to school at the same time. Now, thanks to TeachOrTutor.com they do not have to. This is because they can become a tutor and work from the comfort of their own home.
So, now that you know all of the great reasons why you should become a tutor, isn’t it time for you to set up your account on TeachOrTutor.com today?
Today, a lot of people will agree with you that the American educational system is less than optimal. While the No Child Left Behind Act established sound principles, it did not receive enough funding and thus its principles have been rendered meaningless. Of course, there have also been widespread reports that states are “dumbing down” standardized testing so that their state’s scores can show the improvements that are necessary amongst their students in order to maintain or improve their status. This has caused a lot of parents to complain about the school’s curriculum being way too focused upon teaching students how to do well on these tests, regardless of whether or not they are truly teaching subjects in a way that engage the students’ natural curiosity.
Because of necessary provisions that have been made in the No Child Left Behind Act, the focus of many schools is upon raising the scores of students who test in the “far below basic” and “below basic” proficiency levels on these yearly assessments. Even so, most schools actually lack the resources that are necessary to give those students the attention that they need in order to improve their test scores.
Furthermore, parents of children who test in the “proficient” or “advanced” range often feel like their children are being left behind since they are not being challenged to do their best. Herein these parents feel like teachers who focus on remediating learners who have low test scores have also unintentionally brought down the test scores of those who are either gifted or advanced.
All of these things have caused parents to turn to tutoring services more and more often for helping their children be able to reach their full potential. They are right in feeling that tutors can help fill in the gaps in their children’s education. For instance if a student is proficient in math, then a math tutor can augment their classroom instruction and take them to the next level. On the other hand, if a student needs help with their math, a tutor can help them to become successful in the classroom.
Parents who have children in middle school and high school are also using tutoring services more and more today. This is especially true of online tutoring services. The reason for this increase is because of the highly competitive environment of college admissions. Herein having a competitive edge really is a necessity. As such, one-on-one tutoring for test preparation is growing at a high rate today since most services often enroll as many as 20 students in one class. This makes it difficult for students to get the individual attention that they need.
Of course, the key thing that is necessary in order for any student to be able to learn is being engaged with the material and being able to interact with the instructor. Unfortunately, with the state of educational funding the way it is today, it is increasingly difficult for students to be able receive the attention that they need.
Between school, homework, activities and community service projects children are overscheduled today. Therefore it is really difficult to carve out even an hour a day for family time and yet many parents are thinking of getting tutoring for their children. Of course, this is not going to be an easy decision for you to make but there are some things that can help you to determine when it is appropriate to hire a tutor:
1. If your child needs to raise their grades, then a tutor can help them do so. For instance, if your child is having problems with math, then a math tutor can work with your child to help them understand the curriculum and thus be better prepared for their classes and tests. Of course, a tutor can also help your child raise their overall grade point average if they are falling behind in several subjects at once as well.
2. If your child is either gifted or accelerated, then tutoring can be a great tool for providing them with more advanced coursework. This is because a tutor can provide your child with more depth and complexity in the subjects that they are studying. As such your child will be kept stimulated so that they will stay on track in school.
3. If you feel as though your child has either a defeatist attitude or is lacking self-confidence in an academic setting, then a tutor can help your child with this as well. It does not matter why your child has developed this attitude, the fact is that it can negatively impact their attitude toward school, friendships and grades. However, a good tutor can help your child become motivated to succeed and feel confident in their ability to master what they are learning.
4. If your children are struggling with their note-taking, study or homework habits, a tutor can teach them how to succeed in school by showing them specific strategies for listening in class and studying at home.
5. If your child is preparing for the SAT, ACT or GRE then they will need to have all of the help that they can get so that they will be accepted to the colleges of their choice. A tutor can help your child master the material that is likely to be covered on the tests. They can also teach your child proven test taking skills that will ensure that their knowledge is reflected in their test scores.
If you choose to hire a tutor, then you need to know that there are different types of services available. These include:
1. Franchises are available that require you to drop off your child for one-on-one or group tutoring.
2. Companies exist that will provide a tutor who will come in to your home for individual tutoring.
3. Online tutors are also available via the Internet for one-on-one tutoring.
Considering how busy most families schedules are today, in-home or online tutoring are usually best because they provide the most flexibility. Most of the time they also provide the greatest returns on your investment as well.
There are many children in all grade levels who could really use some help with their schoolwork. Oftentimes parents are unable to give them the help and attention that they need to get back on track in a specific subject. This is when a tutor becomes the perfect solution.
There are a lot of local tutors who will tutor a student in their home or in the student’s home. However, the idea of an online tutor is still somewhat new. For those who have been working as tutors, you may find that you will attract more clients by tutoring online. Of course, if you have excelled in any particular subjects in school and now want to work as a tutor, this will work out well for you too.
In order to become an online tutor, there are some things that you are going to need. If you are unable to set these things up in a way that will be conducive for your tutoring, then you may want to check out such web sites as TeachOrTutor.com. The items that you are going to need include:
1. A web site is necessary so that you can promote your services online.
2. An email address that is dedicated to your tutoring business is a good thing to have so that your students can email you any questions that they have and so that you can send them exercises and practice tests.
3. A chat program will allow you to have one-on-one interaction with your students. This will allow you to be able to immediately respond to their questions and get feedback from them as well.
4. An Instant Messenger is very similar to a regular chat program. This is like using chat software without struggling to install it. A lot of people are already familiar with Instant Messenger so it is easy for them to get started.
5. A message board is a great tool to help you stay in contact with your students. This can be used for asking questions at any time of the day. You can then respond to these questions during your regular working hours. Another benefit here is that if you have a group of students that you are tutoring in a similar subject, they may benefit from being able to read and discuss their questions with one another while also getting help from you.
6. Video conferencing is also a great idea since it can help you come close to being in the same room with your students so that you can observe how they are doing. You can also view their body language this way so that you can determine whether or not they understand what you are talking about. These services are quite affordable, so this really is a viable option.
7. You may also want to offer a subscription-based service wherein you offer access to a database of tutorials, articles, FAQ’s and other resources that you have compiled to help your students with their schoolwork.
If you are interested in becoming an online tutor, then you should give it a try. Start spreading the word that you are accepting online students for tutoring.
Online tutoring plays a key role in America’s educational system today. This is partially because the student population exceeds what schools are able to handle. Unfortunately, this is necessary because today’s youth can no longer rely upon only a high school education to get them where they want to be in life. Thankfully though, both parents and educators understand that education in today’s world is a must and therefore both parents and schools are partnering together with online tutoring companies to help educate students.
It is important to understand that today’s 4 year college degree is becoming a lot like yesterday’s high school diploma. There are many reasons why this has happened. The main reason though is that the schools are not able to keep up with the number of students that are entering into them today. There are now more than 50 million students in grades K-12. This is a number that has been rising, and still is rising, by 1 million students per year. Add to this the fact that America has more international students studying in the states today than ever before in history, thus creating even more competition for today’s youth.
With all of this in mind, many parents are now turning to online tutoring and education. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more necessary as many students do not have the time to search for sources that can help them. This is mainly because of the fact that these students are working jobs while going to school full-time. As such there really is not a lot of time left for them to be able to take advantage of their school’s resources. Thankfully, online tutoring and education is available to help answer this problem. In fact, there are now more than 3 million students who are now studying online.
Of course, this does not mean that students should not look at the resources that are offered by the schools whose main job it is to prepare them for a career path. In high school this is a general path while in college it is a much more specific path. Unfortunately though, according to statistics, only 25% of those students who graduate from a 4 year college actually work in the field that they earned their degree in.
Online tutoring is able to cover a broad area of education so that students can get the help they need, when they need it. In fact, there are now some programs that offer this over a 24-hour period and thus completely cater to the student’s needs. So, while schools are not able to keep up with the resources that are needed in order to fully help their students, online tutoring and education is able to fill this gap. This is why a lot of schools are now beginning to partner with online tutoring services so they can get their students the help that they need. With this in mind, there is no doubt that online tutoring and education is a service that will continue to grow and thrive in the upcoming years in America.
If you are studying a specific subject and you are trying to find a way in which you can more effectively learn the material, then you should become a tutor. While you could arrange an informal study group so that you and your friends can learn the material better, when you become a tutor you will actually be able to cash in on your study time. In this way you will be able to benefit greatly.
You will soon discover that when you become a tutor you will have to explain things to others. This will force you to be well prepared and thus if you are going to have to take an exam on the topic, you will know that you are ready. This is something that you cannot get from a lot of the other study techniques that are available since when you become a tutor you will have already been tested and passed that test.
Another thing that will happen when you become a tutor is that your understanding will deepen as you have to explain the information to someone else. In fact, you will probably have a little more information than you really need.
You may also find that since you only have a small amount of time to teach someone whom you are tutoring the information that they will need to know, you will be able to know what information is truly necessary. This is something that you are not going to learn if you are studying by yourself.
It is important to understand that you do not have to be an expert in order to become a tutor. All you need to be able to do is stay 1 step ahead of those whom you are tutoring. So, tutoring is not as hard as you may think it is. Plus you will not mind studying ahead anymore since you will be both improving your grades and greatly satisfied because you are helping someone else learn something that they did not think that they could learn.
If the material is something that you have already learned in the past, you will still be able to benefit when you become a tutor because you will be able to cement the knowledge in your mind. This will then help you to be better able to absorb and understand the higher level material that you are now learning. You will find that this is especially true if you are studying math or science.
It is also quite satisfying when you see that someone else is actually able to grasp the concept that you are teaching them when they could not do this before. This may actually make you want to become a teacher. Regardless, you will still get a good reputation and more people will want your tutoring services, which will push you to become even better in the subject that you are studying. So, go ahead and become a tutor. You will be greatly rewarded in your own studies by helping someone else.
Most adults have some part of history, or even several defining events or times in history, that played an important part in their childhood. These times could include John F. Kennedy’s funeral, man’s first step on the moon, the first episode you saw of Saturday Night Live or even hearing Ronald Reagan’s famous “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall” speech. Regardless of what it is, these parts of history will remain forever fixed in both your brain and your heart. Remembering these defining points is the best place to start whenever you are teaching your children about history or social studies.
Children love hearing stories about when they were born. They will even come right out and ask where they “came from.” This is something that is important to them. It is something that is meaningful to them. It is also something that they can relate to since it is their history.
Another idea is to share those parts of your lives, events and times that are of historical significance with your children as they grow up. This will teach them how the historical events and times have shaped the world in which they live in today. After all, your children really are interested in you because you mean a lot to them. They see you standing right there in front of them, which is able to make the events that you talk about a little more realistic and believable to them. So, by sharing the excitement that you naturally have about those events that you have experienced and have feelings about can help bring those events and historical situations to life in the eyes of your children.
It is also a good idea to take some time to visit the history museum in your area with your child. Herein not only are you spending quality time with your child but you are also teaching them about history. By looking at the various displays that are available at the museum, you may even find yourself with more stories to tell. As aforementioned this is very beneficial because children get to see and hear history through your eyes. Furthermore, with the items that you are talking about being located right there in front of them, history will come alive for them in ways that it never has before. Of course, all of this can also create a great bond between you and your child for the 2 of you to enjoy for the remainder of your lifetime together.
So, regardless as to whether your child’s teacher is having them study history by making “All About Me” books out of construction paper or by reading textbooks, sharing a part of yourself and how you have related to some of the special times and events in history that occurred during your own lifetime will help your children to develop an excitement, awareness and appreciation of times that lie beyond their own understanding. Plus, you will be surprised at just how much fun this can be to do together.
If you would like to become a tutor, there are some things that you are going to do. These steps are as follows:
1. You are going to need to develop some expertise in the subject area that you wish to tutor in.
2. It is a good idea, although not required, to obtain some kind of recognized qualification in the subject that you want to become a tutor in.
3. You will need to make sure that you know and understand the curriculum or syllabus that you plan on teaching.
4. Take some time to prepare your lessons and practice them.
5. Make sure that you are very well organized when you first become a tutor. In fact, you are better off being over prepared than to run dry half way through a session.
6. Make sure that the lessons that you prepare are both interesting and interactive. Remember, when you become a tutor, it is the students who should be doing most of the work.
7. Always be sure that you listen to the student that you are tutoring. As a tutor, it is your job to respond to what they need help with or do not understand.
There are also some tips that will really help you out whenever you become a tutor, including:
1. Even though TeachOrTutor.com does some advertising for you, it is still a good idea to do some of your own advertising whenever you become a tutor. The best places to advertise are where parents will see your advertisements because these are your real clients.
2. Look around to see what other people on TeachOrTutor.com are charging. You will want to charge similar rates.
3. You are going to always want to make sure that you keep parents informed about their child’s progress.
4. Whatever you do when you become a tutor, make sure that you do not inflate a student’s ability. Of course, you are going to want to be encouraging though.
5. If you want to get some real life tutoring experience, then volunteer your time. This will also help you whenever you are tutoring online at TeachOrTutor.com. Of course, the more experience you have, the more you will be able to charge. You do not want to inflate your rates too much though.
While there are a lot of great tips and advice that will help you out a lot when you become a tutor, there are also some warnings that you should heed as well. These include:
1. Avoid any situation that will put you or your students in danger.
2. You should never become emotionally involved with your students.
3. You will hinder your ability to find work if you charge too much or too little. So, whenever you become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com, take some time to look around and make sure that your rates are competitive.
Is your child in the process of learning how to read? Are you looking for some activities that you can use to help him with this learning process? Then here are some ideas to help you get started:
1. Make your child a set of flash cards with the “at” family words. These words should include flat, chat, brat, spat, splat, drat, bat, cat, fat, hat, mat, pat, rat and sat all on separate index cards. This exercise is meant to help increase your child’s reading speed by using words that he already knows. Once you have made all of these flashcards, you will want to spread them out, face down, on the table. Turn them over one at a time and ask your child to read each word to you. Then turn them back over and mix them up before having your child read them to you again.
2. Purchase a set of reading flashcards for your child. You will want to select some words from the pack that your child has already had some practice with. Your child can then read the word before turning the flashcard over in order to see that he is reading the word correctly as the word’s picture will be on the back of the card.
3. Encourage your child to take the various flashcards that he has (both the ones that you have made for him as well as the ones that you have bought for him) and read these cards to other friends and family members. You can also encourage your child to make his own flashcards. However, you should know that most children will prefer to have an adult write the flashcards for them since adults are able to do a neater job. If your child wants to make his own flashcards though you should not discourage him as this will help him to have a sense of pride in them.
4. Create a variety of flashcard games and drills to augment, not replace, the one on one work that you do with your child.
5. Once your child seems to have a firm grasp upon the “at” words, help him to make bigger “at” words. This simply means adding more letters to “at,” including blends such as “fl” and “ch.” You can make this “fun” by presenting this exercise to your child as a challenge that you know that he can accomplish. Before doing this though, make sure that you have “at” written on one whole index card. You will then want to cut 3 other index cards in half so that you have 6 halves. On each of these halves you will want to write 1 of these 6 pairs of letters: fl, ch, br, sp, spl and dr. This will allow your child to make the words: flat, chat, brat, spat, splat and drat. Once this is done and you are ready to work with your child, put “at” down in front of you and spread the other cards around “at.” Your child can then choose 1 card, slide it over to the front of “at” and tell you what the new word is.