Revolutionizing the way we and learn
Regardless as to what a child wants to be whenever they grow up, every child should still have a solid education in science. This is important because science is all around us. Science is everywhere and it effects everything that we do. For this reason, those children that understand how science plays a role in our daily lives will have a wonderful foundation for success in life.
In today’s world many people seem to think that the only people that need to understand science are those that will work as scientists and engineers. However, this cannot be further from the truth. All children need to have a good science education in order to be successful. This has nothing to do with the child’s background, talents or abilities. Every child needs to be able to make sense of the world around them, so that they can make the best decisions possible in relation to what they want to do in or with life.
Children of any age can learn science. The earlier they start the better things will go. However, since children learn best through play and repetition it only makes sense to teach them about science in this fashion.
There are many wonderful science toys and activities for children as young as babies. For instance, babies can learn about cause and effect by crying whenever they are hungry or wet. They learning that you respond to these needs when they cry. This is the very simplest form of science. There are also wooden blocks that are wonderful for teaching balance, stacking and lessons about gravity.
Since play is the best way kids learn, it only makes sense to introduce them to toys that encourage understanding science. It is also important to understand that children use their imagination not only to have fun but also to figure out the world around them. This is why play time is such a wonderful time to introduce them to science. Just think of the wonderful science games and toys that you can play such as Don’t Spill the Beans, Block N Roll, the Telephone Game, Lincoln logs and patty cake. Of course, there are also board games such as Aggravation and Chinese Checkers that are not only fun but teach science too.
Children are also quite curious by nature. They are trying to makes sense of what is in the world around them. Science feeds that curiosity. Therefore, parents need to encourage and satisfy this hunger. Finding toys that will do this is not as difficult as one might think. There are plenty of science toy shops online where you can find unique science toys such as 3-D space projectors or Hydro Greenhouses. So, help your children appreciate and understand the world around them and how everything is linked together.
If you know more about a topic or better understand it more than others do, then you should consider becoming a tutor. This is especially great for any stay at home moms or dads who have received a really good education and then went on to work in that area before starting a family. While it use to be that you would have to go to the student’s home in order to tutor them, now it is possible to become a tutor over the Internet.
So, what can you become a tutor and teach students? Actually there is a really long list of things that students need to learn about anymore. The nice thing is that you can actually stay home and have tutoring sessions. It is also possible for you to develop a base of clients in your local community that you can tutor over the Internet.
The 3 areas that are in the most high demand include computer courses and high school courses in the areas of math and English. You may be surprised to know that you can also become a tutor and help children with piano lessons via the Internet. So, if you have any training, college or work experience in any of these areas, then you can easily use these acquired skills in order to become a tutor and help others out in these areas.
As with any other business, there are some things that you should do if you want to become a tutor and work from home offering your services via the Internet. Basically you are going to have to make sure that you have a quiet home office wherein your computer is located. You are also going to need high speed Internet access and it may help to have a good digital camera on your computer as well. It would also be helpful to have a dry erase board to use. If you do not have a comfortable office chair or desk then you may want to invest in these items as well. However, you can get a desk and chair later because unlike the other aforementioned items, they really are not required in order for you to become a tutor.
Before starting out as a home-based tutor, you will need to setup your business structure.
As far as paperwork, you will need to create your class curriculum. Usually you will only need to have 8 weeks worth of learning material. This can then be translated into 8 classes that will be 1 hour each in length. It would be helpful if this material can be sent to the student whenever you are working with it. This way they can have it in front of them. You will also need to at least have a spreadsheet in which you can keep track of all of your business finances once you become a tutor.
Once you are prepared, you can set yourself up on TeachOrTutor.com and begin advertising your services. You may wish to learn about Internet marketing as well so that you can get more students. Besides marketing, you can also undercut your price as an introductory offer. This will get you a lot of new students rather quickly. You can slowly raise your prices later on in order to feel as though you are being fairly compensated for your time.
If you would like to become a tutor, there are some things that you are going to need to do:
1. Develop some expertise in the subject area that you want to become a tutor in.
2. Make sure that you know and understand the curriculum or syllabus you will be become a tutor in.
3. If you will be preparing your own lesson plans to use for tutoring, then you are going to need to spend some time practicing them.
4. When you first become a tutor you will find that it is very beneficial and helpful to be extremely well organized. In fact, at this time, it is actually a lot better for you to be over prepared than for you to end up running out of things to say or do when you are only half way through a session.
5. The lessons that you plan to use once you become a tutor should be both interesting and interactive. You should know and understand that when you have put together a really good lesson, the students whom you are tutoring will actually be the ones that do a lot of the work, not you.
6. Even though you have become a tutor, you should still make sure that you take the time to listen to your students. Part of this has to do with responding to what your students are telling you that they already know, as well as what they are telling that you do not understand.
While you will need to do the aforementioned things, there are also some tips that you should take heed of. These include:
1. Once you have become a tutor you can advertise your professional services wherever parents may gather. Remember, while you may be tutoring a child, the parents are your real clients as they are the ones who will be paying you for your services.
2. Look around to see what other tutors are charging. You can then choose to make your rates competitive with theirs or to underbid them and charge less for your services.
3. Do your best to keep the parents informed about their child’s progress. While you should be encouraging, you do not want to overstate the child’s abilities.
4. If you would like to receive some real life experience as a tutor, you can always volunteer to become a tutor within your own local community. Of course, you can also offer your services as cheaply as possible on TeachOrTutor.com until you feel confident as a tutor.
All of this information may sound great, but there are some warnings that you will need to heed. These include:
1. Make sure that once you become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com you do not break any of the web site’s rules.
2. Of course, it only makes good sense to avoid any situations that may put you or your students in danger.
3. You should never become emotionally involved with your students.
4. Your ability to find tutoring opportunities once you become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com will be hindered if you charge either too much or too little money.
It can be a daunting task to learn a foreign language. This is because it will take you a few hundred hours to learn the 2,000 to 3,000 words that will help you to be fluent conversationally. While this may sound too difficult for someone who just casually wants to learn a new language, there are 7 tips that can help you learn the language a lot faster:
1. Flashcards are the single best and most efficient way to spend your time while learning a new language. In fact, if you learn 12 new words a day, 5 days a week you will learn 3,000 words in a year.
2. Once you gain some basic understanding of the language it is a good idea to do some reading about something that you are interested in that language. This will help you to learn vocabulary and phrases that really interest you, which will help you to learn the language even faster.
3. Make sure that you are able to hear the language that you are learning as this is extremely important if you plan on speaking this language. You can use these tapes while you are driving or relaxing. In order to do this you are going to need more than 1 audio CD.
4. Some great, free opportunities to hear the language that you are studying are available via Internet radio. Herein you can be exposed to new vocabulary words each time that you listen to it. Listening to Internet news broadcasts from other countries, in the language that you are studying is a good idea because the more sources you have to listen to, the better off you will be.
5. It is very important to have daily contact with the language that you are learning. Even 10 minutes per day is a lot better than just studying the language for a few hours a day just once or twice a week. This is because you will need to frequently review what you are learning so that you can maintain what you have learned.
6. Another great way to practice the language that you are learning is by having Internet pen pals around the world who speak the language that you are learning. These people can help you immeasurably and in turn you can help them with their English. There are plenty of free web sites and forums where you can find these people at.
7. If at all possible, take the time to study and practice with others. You can always get a tutor to help you here. This type of instant feedback and interactivity cannot be gotten from a book, audio or other software. Herein you can also absorb what you are learning quicker because it is a lot more fun.
If you apply some of these techniques to your language learning regimen you will discover that you can learn a new language without requiring any more time from your already overtaxed schedule. In fact, this can actually use less time by streamlining your learning process in this way. This is because you are using your learning time more effectively. Good luck!
If you want to be a good teacher, then you are going to have to have control of your classroom, mastery over your material and respect from your students. Of course, this is not easy to do. It takes hard work, perseverance and determination. Here are 7 tips to help you get started:
1. You need to know why you want to be a teacher. This reason has to be bigger than life if you are going to stay motivated.
2. You are going to need to have a list of predetermined priorities for when you need to make decisions. This will help you to stay focused and do those things that are either important or urgent first. Therefore, you really need to decide what is most important to you and then prepare your priorities from there.
3. You need to determine your destination so that if you plan to lead your students to an understanding of the subject matter you know where you are going. This is why you should take the time to plan out your year and then prepare an outline for your students, which will serve as a road map for the upcoming year.
4. You must learn to choose your battles. Not everything is worth fighting over. There are some situations that you should simply ignore so that you have the energy to win those battles that you do choose to take on. This is important because if you lose a battle, you will also lose your students’ respect.
5. Take the time to get to know your students. Ask questions about their families, pets, hobbies, likes and dislikes. The more you know about your students the better you can prepare lessons that are pertinent to their lives.
6. Make sure that you work harder on yourself than on your job. Your plan for personal growth should includes books, CDs, DVDs, seminars and classes. You should try to read at least 1 professional book a month, attend at least 2 seminars per year and take 1 class each year.
7. It is very important that you have a passion for teaching, otherwise you should not even be teaching. Of course, you will have to work at keeping that flame burning. One of the best ways to do this is by watching uplifting movies such as Mr. Holland’s Opus, Stand By Me, Man Without a Face and Stand and Deliver. Another way of doing this is by creating a victory file wherein you keep notes, cards and letters from your students.
Today there are many teachers who are underpaid, underestimated and unappreciated. Nevertheless, they still continue to be teachers because this is a fulfillment of their destiny. For this reason, teaching really is a lot more than just a piece of paper or a position. It is a need that must first develop in your heart. Teaching is a gift. It is not a learned action. For these reasons, only a true teacher can understand the feelings and needs that come from teaching.