Revolutionizing the way we and learn
There is a lot of hype surrounding eLearning, but all this has done is create unnecessary confusion. For this reason, you may be wondering what eLearning really is. Simply stated, this is the delivery of learning material through electronic media that includes the Internet, intranet, extranet, a satellite broadcast, audio/video tapes, interactive TV, online tutoring and CD-ROMs.
You may be wondering just how this is different than distance learning. Basically, distance learning includes text-based learning and courses that are conducted via written correspondence. This is different from eLearning, which is synonymous with technology-based learning. Of course, it is important to understand that the terms eLearning, technology-based learning and web-based learning are used interchangeably as well.
eLearning’s roots are based upon traditional instructor-led training and computer-based training. As such, it really is geared towards the future. It will continue to evolve over the course of time in order to be able to create new training options. Some of the benefits of this form of learning include:
1. Anyone can learn anything, at any time and in any place thanks to the Internet. In a few years this will become even more true because technical obstacles, such as access, standards, infrastructure and bandwidth will no longer be an issue. At that time the growth of the World Wide Web, high-capacity corporate networks and high-speed desktop computers will make learning available to people 24 hours a day, 7 days a week around the globe.
2. You will be able to save a lot of money because there will not be any travel expenses involved. This will allow you to use your time more efficiently since you will not need to fight traffic to get to a class.
3. You will find that eLearning is very flexible. The information that you need can be learned and retained whenever you want from wherever you want. This is because it is also a lot less stressful to learn in this way.
4. With eLearning instructors are able to easily and instantaneously update lessons and materials, which means that the content will be fresh and current. Plus this allows for information to be retrieved whenever it is required, instead of learning it ahead of time and then being quickly forgotten.
5. This form of personalized learning also allows for higher retention rates because there is room for each individual’s learning style. As such, students can better understand the material and thus learn faster.
6. eLearning is also very stimulating because it encourages more critical reasoning than a large, traditional class allows for. This will thus draw you into the subject matter more because of the discussions that take place.
With all of these great advantages to eLearning, you will find it is hard to understand why anyone would want to sit in a lecture to learn new information whenever they have the option not to. Today there are many free online classes available. There are also some great tutors available at TeachOrTutor.com that can help you whenever necessary. So, go ahead and take advantage of all the great offerings that are available at your fingertips.
The fact that our ancestors have formed groups that have gone off in different directions and developed their own languages is one of the main reasons for most of the wars that have taken place throughout history. This is because these different languages have built up barriers that have kept one group of people from understanding another group of people. Since people have a tendency of mistrusting what we do not understand and disliking what we mistrust, this dislike has oftentimes turned into fear, which has turned into hate. Of course, hatred is something that people easily justify as a reason for acting out in violence against those that are hated.
Anyone who has given these things any thought have come to recognize that this is happening. These people have often worked to find a common language. Of course, every language has its advocates who want the world to learn and use their language. This is because there are emotional ties to one’s mother tongue and it is also because it takes a lot of effort to learn another language. However, there is a quiet revolution taking place today and thanks to technology it is easier now to be multilingual.
Instead of learned by sitting, face-to-face with our teacher and listening to what was said, there is a new reality in language learning taking place today. Herein high-fidelity sound recording, manipulation and playback media removes the necessity for there to be a teacher sitting there in front of the student. Plus this learning media can be carried anywhere and used in any place. This does not mean that the natural way in which to learn a language has been thrown out the window though. To the contrary, basic conversation is still being taught first and then being expanded on from there. However, since the sound files can be replayed at will you are able to keep repeating the words, accents and expressions until you get it perfect. As such, it is faster and easier to learn to speak another language than ever before.
It is also nice to note that the cost of these technological advances has drastically reduced the cost of learning a new language. This is because thanks to the Internet you can easily download text and audio files in only a few seconds, and at most in a few minutes. If you then want to make another copy of this download it will cost you practically nothing. Plus there are virtually no inventory or delivery costs for complicated intellectual products. As such, these items can be sold at extremely low prices.
The result of all of this is that today you can purchase a language learning course for $100, download it in less than 10 minutes and learn to speak another language in just a few weeks by working on it at times, in places and at the pace that you choose. This means that you can emerge from this training speaking the language as perfectly as a native.
Unfortunately, only 1 out of 3 ninth graders graduates with enough skills to succeed in college. The remaining students either drop out of school or graduate being unable to handle the challenges of college. This leaves America struggling and losing their competitive edge to growing industrialized nations such as China and India. Obviously, something needs to be changed in the American public school system and it needs to be done fast.
Bill Gates is involved in bringing public attention to this important issue. He is also running pilot programs in those high schools that are open to his techniques. Herein studies are also being done to see if demographics make a difference in how children learn and the way schools are designed.
The United States use to have an edge in education. In fact, many brilliant minds came here to learn because we were able to provide them with teaching assistance. However, we have lost that edge today. Many of those brilliant minds are leaving the United States and it is now a lot tougher for higher education students to immigrate here. There is also an extra burden being placed upon our school system by illegal immigrants who need to be educated.
Fortunately, there is currently a trend underway that attempts to remedy the shortcomings of the American public school system. This is being done through independent and private tutoring companies that are located in the United States, as well as offshore. There are some of these tutoring companies that are recognized by the state department of education and thus they provide services that are paid for by the schools with federal funds that come from the US Department of Education. This may sound good but it can actually complicate things in many ways for parents. It has also led many parents to choose to hire private tutors, which they have to pay for out of their own pockets. Therefore, a lot of parents grow extremely frustrated whenever all they are really trying to do is help their child get a good education, which is what the American public school system should be providing them with in the first place.
Today there are more and more parents that are concerned with their children’s education. This may be due to the grades that their children are getting or the effectiveness of the classroom instruction that is being given to help prepare them to get into the college of their choice. So, as you can see, today tutoring is not only for those students who are having problems in school and thus need help with “catching up” but it is also for those students that want a competitive edge in life so that they can do their best and achieve their highest potential.
While both parents and teachers want to provide students with a good education so that they can handle life’s challenges and achieve their best, sometimes teachers fall short. This is when parents need to step in and hire a tutor to help their student overcome any limitations they may have so that the can excel in school.
It is possible to spend less than $25 and yet be prepared for the SAT test. Of course, you can also spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in preparation as well. Why would you want to waste your money though?
Here is what you are going to need to do if you want to spend only $25 in preparation:
1. Purchase the highest quality practice SAT tests available, which are the College Board tests.
2. Once you have some practice tests available to you, it is important to make sure that you use simulated conditions whenever you take them. For instance, when you are told to do 20 questions in 25 minutes, then you should do these 20 questions in 25 minutes. You should also sit at a table whenever you are taking these tests. It is also important to understand that you do not have to do an entire test at one practice session, but you should do at least 1 full section.
3. Immediately after you take the practice test, you should grade your answers so that you know which ones you missed. This does not mean that you have to sit down and learn these things right now, but you do need to identify the questions that you have answered incorrectly.
4. Once you have discovered what mistakes you have made, it is time to go into review mode. The questions that you will want to look at here are those that you answered wrong, skipped, guessed correctly and the ones that you got right but thought you took too long or feel that you need to review some more.
5. Try to get together with 2 to 5 different people for a study group. Since everyone will have different questions that they need to review you will have plenty of opportunity to explain these answers. Here, you will benefit in 2 ways: First, you will benefit from getting correct explanations to the questions that you got wrong. Secondly, you will benefit from explaining answers to other questions and thus be able to learn the concept so much better. If nobody knows the correct answer to a specific question, then go to either your parents, teachers or find a tutor.
6. Spend some time looking at the various Internet sites that post answers to SAT questions. Of course, this is also a great place to get answers to your own questions as well.
So, you have spent $20 to purchase the College Board book of practice tests. You can then use the remaining $5 on ice cream. This is something that you definitely deserve after all of this studying for what will be a very long test.
In today’s work world we are faced with a lot of reading in the form of journals, reports and email messages. It is important to be able to read fast so that you can finish your work earlier and thus devote more time to other important areas of your work. With this in mind, you will be happy to know that speed-reading is a technique that you can acquire at any time. Here are some of the important skills that you will need for speed-reading:
1. Whenever you are speed reading you need to use your finger. This is because our eyes have an innate tendency to follow a moving object. Thus, as you move your finger across the page your eyes will pick up the words at a faster pace. This may seem a bit irritating at first, but this is good because you will know that you are actively engaging in learning this skill.
2. You also need to learn how to better develop your peripheral vision. This can be done by teaching yourself to look at a few words at a time so that you can eventually read at a speed that exceeds 1,000 words per minute. It is best to learn how to do this while reading a newspaper because it is divided into columns with only 4 to 6 words per line. Your goal here is to put your finger in the center of each sentence and stretch your vision as much as you can to capture as many words at one time as possible. This technique may slow down your reading speed at first, but eventually you will begin to read faster and better.
3. Another trick that will help you to read faster is skimming and scanning. This is a form of “adaptive reading,” meaning that you should learn to skim through the article and pick out only those key words that are actually important. Usually this is not a big problem for most people. This is especially true for these people whenever they are reading articles that they are actually familiar with. For instance, if you have bought a new DVD recorder and want to know how to use the recording function, you are not going to spend the time to read the entire manual. Instead, you will skip to the portion that has to do with recording. However, practicing this technique is helpful whenever you are reading newspapers, magazines, emails and Internet web sites. Your goal here is for your eyes to sweep through the text and find only the information that you are looking for.
Regardless of which technique you are working on, remember: practice makes perfect. Not only will speed-reading help you to read things faster, but it will also improve your vocabulary and increase your general knowledge. However, you are not going to be able to learn how to speed-read over night. It is going to take some patience and discipline while you practice the aforementioned techniques.
Many people will emphatically tell you that they have a bad memory. However, unless you have been diagnosed with a debilitating brain disease there is no such thing as a bad memory. There is such a thing as an untrained memory though but this can be developed over the course of time. Here are some things that you can do to work upon boosting your memory:
1. There are some types of food that can keep our memory power intact. Some of the foods that will help to improve your brain power include: oily fish, eggs, beef, whole wheat, chicken, bananas, dairy products and avocados.
2. Work on improving your power of observation. One technique that works well here is link what you are trying to remember to something that you already do remember.
3. Take the time to slowly and steadily boost your concentration by trying to link together an unrelated list of words. This can be done by creating a story between the words that you then remember.
4. Try to find something new to learn each and every day you are alive. This will help you to become more alert and focused upon what you are doing. You can do this by learning a new word from the dictionary everyday and then try to use it in your daily conversations. Another idea is to read something from either the encyclopedia or online each day. You will soon become naturally attracted to new information which will inspire your brain to make effective connections with existing information so that you can remember it all.
5. If you are feeling good, your brain is more likely to learn and remember, so try to work on your positive thinking. It is also a good idea to deal with negative thoughts before you sit down to learn something.
6. Make sure that you deal with your stress appropriately. If you are under continuous stress your body will produce chemical by-products that will inhibit your memory.
7. You need to be sure to get enough sleep because dream (or REM) sleep is important for giving your brain the best opportunity to process new information and consolidate learning.
8. Did you know that exercise can not only improve your overall fitness, but it can also help your brain to work more efficiently? This is why your body needs a short break every 30 to 50 minutes while you are working or studying.
9. Keeping track of your sugar levels is important because your memory will be inhibited by low blood sugar levels. This is why it is a good idea to eat regular small meals with snacks in between and drink plenty of water or decaffeinated drinks.
If you take the time to do these things your memory will improve. Of course, you can also get a tutor. Not only can they work on some of the aforementioned techniques with you but they may also be able to teach you many other memory enhancing techniques.
Have you ever wondered when you should see a tutor? Well, there are lots of times when you can or should see one. For instance, do you need help with your homework? Do you need someone to help explain concepts or ideas to you? Are you in need of study strategies for quizzes and tests? All of these are great times to see a tutor before you begin to actually fall behind in your classes.
Whenever you do decide to start using a tutor, there are some things that you should take to your tutoring session with you. These include your textbooks, class notes, past quizzes and tests, your class syllabus, any homework that you have done and if you have any workbook problems or problem sets you should bring them with you as well. Basically, anything that pertains to the class that you need help with should be taken to your tutoring session.
Regardless as to whether you attend a tutoring service online or at the school where you are taking your classes, there are some things that you should and should not do at a tutoring session. Some of these things include:
1. Be sure that you are prepared for the tutoring session. This means that you will need to take the time become familiar with the material that you are going to be working on. It is also a good idea to prepare a list of questions to take with you whenever you are being tutored. You should also try to work through any problems or questions that are in your textbook before your tutoring session.
2. Whenever you have a question during the tutoring session make sure that you bring it up right away. There is no point continuing on if you do not understand what you are already working on.
3. If you happen to have a preferred way of learning, which is otherwise known as a learning style, then you need to be sure that you share this with your tutor right away.
4. You should never even consider asking your tutor to give you the answers to your homework or to do your homework for you. It is important to remember that your tutor is there to help you learn how to do the work yourself. Of course, this is a process. However, if you are unwilling to do your own homework, then you are not going to be able to learn.
5. Make sure that you do not wait until the day before or the day of a quiz or test to try to get help. At this point, help may not be available. Plus it is also important to remember that learning takes time, effort and planning.
While tutors are very helpful, it is even more helpful to get to know your instructor and their teaching assistant so that you can visit them during their office hours. They really are your best source of information for your classes. Plus they will be able to tell you where else you can go on campus to find other resources that will help you with the classes that you are taking.
There are a lot of students who have a tutor to help them when they are studying a language. If you choose to get a tutor whenever you are trying to learn the English language, there are some things that you should do in order to the most out of your tutoring sessions:
1. You should try to find someone who is a non-native English speaker so that you can learn the grammar, which can be somewhat difficult at times. Once you progress in your studies, do your best to try to find a tutor who is a native English speaker. In this way you will be able to learn the correct pronunciation of words and the appropriate usage of them as well.
2. If your tutor is going to fast for you, you should not just tell them that they are going too fast for you but make them repeat themselves. Only then will you be able to figure out what is causing you the difficulties that you are having. It could be that your tutor is speaking too fast; using too many words that you do not know; that the material is unfamiliar to you; or that your teacher’s accent is confusing you.
3. If you find that your tutor is not challenging you enough, it is important to let him know. You are going to want to learn new words and work on them until you master them. Herein it is a good idea to provide your tutor with lists of words and patterns that you want to work on and information about mistakes that you always make.
4. Make sure that you are able to tell when your tutor is correcting you so that you can learn how to correct yourself and reinforce any information that you may be struggling with.
5. Be sure to use English as much as possible. Insist that your tutor use English, even if they have an excellent command of your native language. Let your tutor know that whenever he speaks to you in your native language that you feel as though he does not believe that you are capable of using English.
6. Never allow your tutor to finish your sentence for you. Maybe you will need to develop 2 signals: 1 for asking for patience and 1 for authorizing the tutor to help you. After all, you want as little help from your tutor as possible.
7. In a one-on-one tutoring session, you should make sure to set clear boundaries stating who is really in charge. Herein it really is important for a tutor to understand that they are there to accommodate your needs as a student. This is especially true since you are not only paying your tutor with cash but you are also paying him with your valuable time. As such, your tutor should be more than willing to participate in any of the activities and drills that you propose, even if these things are not structured in the way that the tutor thinks they should be.
While a lot of people are able to learn a second language, they are mistakenly led to believe that they cannot learn even more of them but the opposite is actually the truth. Once you learn a second language, it actually becomes easier to learn even more, especially with the help of a tutor. Of course, there are some other tricks to learning several languages, including:
1. Find the vocabulary words in the language that you are learning that are similar to those in English or another language that you know and use them to your advantage. These are called cognates and you should find a list of them just as soon as you start studying a new language.
2. You should know that many languages are related to other languages and thus they share many features in common. For instance, if you already know some Spanish, then it will be easier to learn Italian or French.
3. All human languages fundamentally operate on the same principles. So, as you learn more languages you will be able to start to pick up on more and more of those principles.
4. If you do not need to learn a language right away, go ahead and take as much time as you need to take in order to learn it. Just do not give up on using those things that you learned in the beginning, even if you cannot advance your learning right away. Learning a language really is a lifetime process though and you will never really finish learning it.
5. Before you begin studying a language know what your goal for learning that language really is. Do you need to be able to read it only? Do you need to be able to fluently speaking it? Do you only want to know a few greetings and basic conversation pieces? Once you decide which of these is right for you, make sure that you focus upon that area and study it accordingly.
6. Maintaining your knowledge of a language is very important because if you do not use it, you will lose it. This is why it is highly recommended that you spend 15 minutes with each of the languages that you are learning each day. This time could be spent reading something, writing an email, watching a movie or TV show, listening to some music or anything else that will help you to better learn that language. This way when you need that language for something the vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation will come back to you quite easily because you have kept it somewhat fresh by using it on a regular basis. It is this here that actually puts the limit on how many languages we can effectively learn.
So, if you really enjoy learning languages, then consider learning more than a few of them.
If you are looking for a SAT, ACT or GCSE tutor, then there are some things that you should keep in mind. First of all, you should have as your main goal whenever you are working with a tutor to raise your SAT or ACT test scores. This is something that almost any student can benefit from, especially whenever the tutoring is both targeted and personalized. In such cases, it really does not matter what the student’s current level of understanding and performance actually is. If this is of interest to you, then you may wish to hire a tutor. Whenever you are trying to do this, there are some things that you should look for in a college tutor or university tutoring program. These things include:
1. You should try to get a private tutor but if you have to go with a group tutoring system, then you need to make sure that the session will be interactive and that most of the people who are participating in the session are at the same level as you. After all, the last thing that you need is to be kept back in your SAT or ACT tutoring because the people who are in the session with you do not know as much as you do. Of course, you also do not want to get lost in a class where all of the people are far ahead of you.
2. You will want to make sure that you are getting the personal instruction that you need. This means being made to feel like you are the only student in the world and that the instruction is specifically tailored to your needs and the admissions requirements of the colleges or universities that you are trying to gin admittance to. Usually this begins with the instructor fully assessing your needs and skills.
3. The tutor should push you by teaching you things that are just ahead of what you already know but they should not go too fast. Nevertheless, you should always feel the exhilaration of learning something new each time you meet with your tutor.
4. The materials that are used should be varied. They should include diagrams, verbal instruction, reading and writing. This is important because we learn better and retain what we have learned to a greater degree whenever we learn in several different mediums.
5. After each time you meet with your tutor they should give you homework that is useful and makes you think. The goal of this homework is to help you learn the material better. At your next tutoring session, your tutor should help you to go over your homework so that you learn from your mistakes and know what weaknesses you need to overcome.
6. Make sure that you check for your tutor’s references. They should also be able to tell you how well their past students have done on the SAT or ACT after having used their services.
After your tutoring session you will be able to find the college that fully meets your potential so that your learning experience will be truly worthwhile.