Revolutionizing the way we and learn
Lifelong learning is a philosophy of approaching learning as an integral, inseparable part of your life. It is important to make a plan for this type of learning. Here are 10 tips to help you formulate this plan for yourself:
1. Make a commitment to approaching learning as though it really is a lifelong journey. This does not mean that you have to attend formal educational institutions in order to undertake this process.
2. Lifelong learning does not follow a schedule like that you had in school, which is why it is so easy to ignore and procrastinate. However, this does not have to happen to you if you are willing to create a system that works for you. One such idea is to keep learning journals for each topic that you enjoy studying.
3. Take the time to create settings that support and inspire you to learn. For instance, the library, the mall, the park and a restaurant may all cause you to want to learn about different things. You will also want to learn what supplies help to keep your energy up. For instance, you may need a quiet environment for some learning while others can best be done in a busy environment.
4. In order to learn effectively, it is important to figure out how you learn. This is not to say that there is 1 best way. In fact, you should know that everything can be tied into learning. Herein it is also important to figure out when your mind needs a break and how you best retain the information that you learn (i.e. by reading aloud, taking notes, summarizing things or sharing with others).
5. Practice different types and ways of thinking so that you can keep your mind strong and flexible. This is like taking your mind to the gym.
6. Whenever you are writing something, make it into an opportunity to work toward improving the way in which you use words to construct understandable ideas. This will lead you to be able to think more clearly.
7. Take the time to listen to a teleclass or a book on tape and then write your own version of it. This will help you to move it into your long-term memory so that you can use it in other situations.
8. By experiencing other people’s communication styles and learning methods you will be able to grow, prosper, open your mind and develop new perceptions. Your ability to use these situations as an opportunity to learn means being willing to deal with conflict, criticism and any other points of vulnerability that you may encounter.
9. You should know that both your physical and your mental health affect your ability to learn. Make sure that you are able to identify and work through any health challenges in these areas just as soon as they appear.
10. All of this should be written down as a part of your yearly learning goals. These can then be subdivided into monthly topics that you make time commitments for. From there, go ahead and minimize any distractions by tabling the other topics that you want to learn about. You may wish to write these down in a folder that is for next year.
Are you thinking of becoming a teacher? Well, then you should know that teaching really is the most noble profession on Earth. However, you should also know that you should not enter into this profession if you have not given it a lot of consideration before doing so. Of course, if you are a selfish person, then you should know that teaching is definitely not for you.
So, why is it important to know the aforementioned things? First of all, if you are good at teaching, then it will be one of the most demanding, if not the most demanding, professions that is in existence today. Therefore, you really do need to understand that this job is not for everyone. In fact, this job is ideally suited for only a select few group of individuals. Unfortunately though, most of the people who do become teachers are not a part of this select group of people.
Secondly, you need to know that teaching is a tiring and oftentimes thankless job. Regardless of what many people have never been teachers think, teaching is a 24/7 job. It is not a part-time daytime only job like many teachers would have you to believe. Of course, you do get to be off for summer vacation, winter break, spring break, holidays, snow days, etc. However, all of these breaks do not amount to much when you have to teach 5 different groups of children, 5 days a week for between 40 and 50 minutes each period. All of this time is spent with a class that is full of distracted, hormone-possessed adolescents. On the other hand, if you are teaching younger children, then you will have to spend between 5 and 6 hours a day with children who are needy, fretful and demanding of your attention.
As you can clearly see, teaching truly requires selfless acts on a daily basis. Therefore, anyone who is selfish will quickly find that this profession does not match their agenda very well. This is because teaching demands so much of a person’s time and energy, leaving very little of these precious resources for other things. Therefore, a person really does need to think carefully before they enter into this profession. They also need to understand and realize that the effects of burn-out can come very fast and very strong.
Of course, there is a silver lining in all of this: teaching is one of the most gratifying professions around. Herein you will be able to see the impact of a life-changing effect upon a student; the effects of unconditional love; and even the totally unexpectedly return visit from a long-forgotten student, who may have been trouble at one time is now coming to say thank you for changing their life for the better. There really is no price or value that can be placed upon such invaluable experiences.
If you are looking for a challenging, yet enjoyable, part-time job while you are in college, you should become a tutor. The really nice thing is that when you become a tutor you will be able to make good money while working flexible hours. This is especially true whenever you become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com.
Some of the things that you are going to have to possess in order to become a tutor are excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
Nevertheless, there are plenty of great reasons to become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com. These include:
1. Becoming a tutor will give you an opportunity to challenge yourself.
2. When you become a tutor on TeachOrTutor.com you will get to meet new people.
3. You can tutor according to the time that you have available instead of having someone make a schedule for you.
4. If you are still in school you will have the opportunity to review your past coursework, which will help you with the courses that you are currently taking.
5. You will be greatly satisfied whenever you watch and help others learn.
6. You will have the opportunity to develop your interpersonal skills, which you will need in order to work with all kinds of people.
7. You can put tutoring on your resume to show employers that you know how to apply your knowledge.
In order to become a tutor in most places you are going to have to go through an application process. However, this is not the way that it works at TeachOrTutor.com. In order to become a tutor here, all you have to do is set up your own virtual office and start posting ads so that others will know about your services.
On TeachOrTutor.com you will have the opportunity to become a tutor while staying at home. This is a great thing for any mothers who need to be home to raise their children because you can set your own hours and tutor whenever you want to. As such, you will still be able to be there for your children and take care of their wants and needs, which is why you have chosen to be home with them to begin with. Right?
Of course, college students will also want to become a tutor. Yet, these students may also be parents and thus need some true flexibility in their schedule. After all, these students are going to college to improve their family’s life. So, the last thing that they are going to want to do is neglect them by working and going to school at the same time. Now, thanks to TeachOrTutor.com they do not have to. This is because they can become a tutor and work from the comfort of their own home.
So, now that you know all of the great reasons why you should become a tutor, isn’t it time for you to set up your account on TeachOrTutor.com today?
Today, a lot of people will agree with you that the American educational system is less than optimal. While the No Child Left Behind Act established sound principles, it did not receive enough funding and thus its principles have been rendered meaningless. Of course, there have also been widespread reports that states are “dumbing down” standardized testing so that their state’s scores can show the improvements that are necessary amongst their students in order to maintain or improve their status. This has caused a lot of parents to complain about the school’s curriculum being way too focused upon teaching students how to do well on these tests, regardless of whether or not they are truly teaching subjects in a way that engage the students’ natural curiosity.
Because of necessary provisions that have been made in the No Child Left Behind Act, the focus of many schools is upon raising the scores of students who test in the “far below basic” and “below basic” proficiency levels on these yearly assessments. Even so, most schools actually lack the resources that are necessary to give those students the attention that they need in order to improve their test scores.
Furthermore, parents of children who test in the “proficient” or “advanced” range often feel like their children are being left behind since they are not being challenged to do their best. Herein these parents feel like teachers who focus on remediating learners who have low test scores have also unintentionally brought down the test scores of those who are either gifted or advanced.
All of these things have caused parents to turn to tutoring services more and more often for helping their children be able to reach their full potential. They are right in feeling that tutors can help fill in the gaps in their children’s education. For instance if a student is proficient in math, then a math tutor can augment their classroom instruction and take them to the next level. On the other hand, if a student needs help with their math, a tutor can help them to become successful in the classroom.
Parents who have children in middle school and high school are also using tutoring services more and more today. This is especially true of online tutoring services. The reason for this increase is because of the highly competitive environment of college admissions. Herein having a competitive edge really is a necessity. As such, one-on-one tutoring for test preparation is growing at a high rate today since most services often enroll as many as 20 students in one class. This makes it difficult for students to get the individual attention that they need.
Of course, the key thing that is necessary in order for any student to be able to learn is being engaged with the material and being able to interact with the instructor. Unfortunately, with the state of educational funding the way it is today, it is increasingly difficult for students to be able receive the attention that they need.
Between school, homework, activities and community service projects children are overscheduled today. Therefore it is really difficult to carve out even an hour a day for family time and yet many parents are thinking of getting tutoring for their children. Of course, this is not going to be an easy decision for you to make but there are some things that can help you to determine when it is appropriate to hire a tutor:
1. If your child needs to raise their grades, then a tutor can help them do so. For instance, if your child is having problems with math, then a math tutor can work with your child to help them understand the curriculum and thus be better prepared for their classes and tests. Of course, a tutor can also help your child raise their overall grade point average if they are falling behind in several subjects at once as well.
2. If your child is either gifted or accelerated, then tutoring can be a great tool for providing them with more advanced coursework. This is because a tutor can provide your child with more depth and complexity in the subjects that they are studying. As such your child will be kept stimulated so that they will stay on track in school.
3. If you feel as though your child has either a defeatist attitude or is lacking self-confidence in an academic setting, then a tutor can help your child with this as well. It does not matter why your child has developed this attitude, the fact is that it can negatively impact their attitude toward school, friendships and grades. However, a good tutor can help your child become motivated to succeed and feel confident in their ability to master what they are learning.
4. If your children are struggling with their note-taking, study or homework habits, a tutor can teach them how to succeed in school by showing them specific strategies for listening in class and studying at home.
5. If your child is preparing for the SAT, ACT or GRE then they will need to have all of the help that they can get so that they will be accepted to the colleges of their choice. A tutor can help your child master the material that is likely to be covered on the tests. They can also teach your child proven test taking skills that will ensure that their knowledge is reflected in their test scores.
If you choose to hire a tutor, then you need to know that there are different types of services available. These include:
1. Franchises are available that require you to drop off your child for one-on-one or group tutoring.
2. Companies exist that will provide a tutor who will come in to your home for individual tutoring.
3. Online tutors are also available via the Internet for one-on-one tutoring.
Considering how busy most families schedules are today, in-home or online tutoring are usually best because they provide the most flexibility. Most of the time they also provide the greatest returns on your investment as well.
There are many children in all grade levels who could really use some help with their schoolwork. Oftentimes parents are unable to give them the help and attention that they need to get back on track in a specific subject. This is when a tutor becomes the perfect solution.
There are a lot of local tutors who will tutor a student in their home or in the student’s home. However, the idea of an online tutor is still somewhat new. For those who have been working as tutors, you may find that you will attract more clients by tutoring online. Of course, if you have excelled in any particular subjects in school and now want to work as a tutor, this will work out well for you too.
In order to become an online tutor, there are some things that you are going to need. If you are unable to set these things up in a way that will be conducive for your tutoring, then you may want to check out such web sites as TeachOrTutor.com. The items that you are going to need include:
1. A web site is necessary so that you can promote your services online.
2. An email address that is dedicated to your tutoring business is a good thing to have so that your students can email you any questions that they have and so that you can send them exercises and practice tests.
3. A chat program will allow you to have one-on-one interaction with your students. This will allow you to be able to immediately respond to their questions and get feedback from them as well.
4. An Instant Messenger is very similar to a regular chat program. This is like using chat software without struggling to install it. A lot of people are already familiar with Instant Messenger so it is easy for them to get started.
5. A message board is a great tool to help you stay in contact with your students. This can be used for asking questions at any time of the day. You can then respond to these questions during your regular working hours. Another benefit here is that if you have a group of students that you are tutoring in a similar subject, they may benefit from being able to read and discuss their questions with one another while also getting help from you.
6. Video conferencing is also a great idea since it can help you come close to being in the same room with your students so that you can observe how they are doing. You can also view their body language this way so that you can determine whether or not they understand what you are talking about. These services are quite affordable, so this really is a viable option.
7. You may also want to offer a subscription-based service wherein you offer access to a database of tutorials, articles, FAQ’s and other resources that you have compiled to help your students with their schoolwork.
If you are interested in becoming an online tutor, then you should give it a try. Start spreading the word that you are accepting online students for tutoring.
There is a lot of hype surrounding eLearning, but all this has done is create unnecessary confusion. For this reason, you may be wondering what eLearning really is. Simply stated, this is the delivery of learning material through electronic media that includes the Internet, intranet, extranet, a satellite broadcast, audio/video tapes, interactive TV, online tutoring and CD-ROMs.
You may be wondering just how this is different than distance learning. Basically, distance learning includes text-based learning and courses that are conducted via written correspondence. This is different from eLearning, which is synonymous with technology-based learning. Of course, it is important to understand that the terms eLearning, technology-based learning and web-based learning are used interchangeably as well.
eLearning’s roots are based upon traditional instructor-led training and computer-based training. As such, it really is geared towards the future. It will continue to evolve over the course of time in order to be able to create new training options. Some of the benefits of this form of learning include:
1. Anyone can learn anything, at any time and in any place thanks to the Internet. In a few years this will become even more true because technical obstacles, such as access, standards, infrastructure and bandwidth will no longer be an issue. At that time the growth of the World Wide Web, high-capacity corporate networks and high-speed desktop computers will make learning available to people 24 hours a day, 7 days a week around the globe.
2. You will be able to save a lot of money because there will not be any travel expenses involved. This will allow you to use your time more efficiently since you will not need to fight traffic to get to a class.
3. You will find that eLearning is very flexible. The information that you need can be learned and retained whenever you want from wherever you want. This is because it is also a lot less stressful to learn in this way.
4. With eLearning instructors are able to easily and instantaneously update lessons and materials, which means that the content will be fresh and current. Plus this allows for information to be retrieved whenever it is required, instead of learning it ahead of time and then being quickly forgotten.
5. This form of personalized learning also allows for higher retention rates because there is room for each individual’s learning style. As such, students can better understand the material and thus learn faster.
6. eLearning is also very stimulating because it encourages more critical reasoning than a large, traditional class allows for. This will thus draw you into the subject matter more because of the discussions that take place.
With all of these great advantages to eLearning, you will find it is hard to understand why anyone would want to sit in a lecture to learn new information whenever they have the option not to. Today there are many free online classes available. There are also some great tutors available at TeachOrTutor.com that can help you whenever necessary. So, go ahead and take advantage of all the great offerings that are available at your fingertips.
Online tutoring plays a key role in America’s educational system today. This is partially because the student population exceeds what schools are able to handle. Unfortunately, this is necessary because today’s youth can no longer rely upon only a high school education to get them where they want to be in life. Thankfully though, both parents and educators understand that education in today’s world is a must and therefore both parents and schools are partnering together with online tutoring companies to help educate students.
It is important to understand that today’s 4 year college degree is becoming a lot like yesterday’s high school diploma. There are many reasons why this has happened. The main reason though is that the schools are not able to keep up with the number of students that are entering into them today. There are now more than 50 million students in grades K-12. This is a number that has been rising, and still is rising, by 1 million students per year. Add to this the fact that America has more international students studying in the states today than ever before in history, thus creating even more competition for today’s youth.
With all of this in mind, many parents are now turning to online tutoring and education. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more necessary as many students do not have the time to search for sources that can help them. This is mainly because of the fact that these students are working jobs while going to school full-time. As such there really is not a lot of time left for them to be able to take advantage of their school’s resources. Thankfully, online tutoring and education is available to help answer this problem. In fact, there are now more than 3 million students who are now studying online.
Of course, this does not mean that students should not look at the resources that are offered by the schools whose main job it is to prepare them for a career path. In high school this is a general path while in college it is a much more specific path. Unfortunately though, according to statistics, only 25% of those students who graduate from a 4 year college actually work in the field that they earned their degree in.
Online tutoring is able to cover a broad area of education so that students can get the help they need, when they need it. In fact, there are now some programs that offer this over a 24-hour period and thus completely cater to the student’s needs. So, while schools are not able to keep up with the resources that are needed in order to fully help their students, online tutoring and education is able to fill this gap. This is why a lot of schools are now beginning to partner with online tutoring services so they can get their students the help that they need. With this in mind, there is no doubt that online tutoring and education is a service that will continue to grow and thrive in the upcoming years in America.
There are many teachers who have spent many years wondering what to do in order to improve math education. One thing is certain: students most definitely appreciate a clear, sound explanation of difficult concepts. Whenever they feel comfortable enough in class to ask questions, they will experience the greatest amount of growth. Therefore, a math teacher’s first objective should be to create a safe atmosphere for learning. This should be an atmosphere in which students are encouraged to express themselves freely, as long as it is also respectfully.
Your class’ tone must be set during the first class. Herein students should know what is expected from them and what can they expect from their teacher. This experience should be personalized by taking the time to learn the students’ names.
It is also important for you to be the best teacher that you can be. You will find this to be very rewarding when you receive positive feedback from your students about the quality of your teaching. As such, you should try to find a way of seeing math concepts that appeals to students so that they will be able to understand such difficult concepts. Nevertheless, each class is a new challenge and so you may find some things do not work all of the time. As a teacher you need to be prepared to use your creativity and intuition to adapt to each class so that you can help the students learn.
As a teacher you should be both dynamic and entertaining so that math does not become boring or tedious for your students. Taking the initiative to show your students new perspectives that they did not think about before and adjusting your techniques to make these things suitable for your students’ specific needs. You will soon find that every group of students is different and thus they will need different approaches. As a teacher, flexibility really is the key.
Of course, your students need to be challenged with achievable tasks. This will help to build their confidence as they stretch beyond their comfort level. As a teacher, you should encourage your students to do things that they never thought that they could do. Herein students will find tremendous satisfaction in achieving something that they did not think that they could ever achieve. Seeing this, as a teacher, can be truly rewarding. This is actually one of the biggest payoffs of being a teacher.
As you can see, it take a lot of sensitivity and perceptiveness in order to be a math teacher. You will encounter students who are taking math classes and have no interest in math at all but they are still being required to take it for their major. You will also find some students that are very frightened about just how hard math can be. In both of these instances, you as the teacher must show the student that while math can be challenging, it can be done, all it takes is a little discipline, persistence and hard work.